This article is written exclusively for Samsung Galaxy phones
If you haven’t heard of rooting , i’ll explain it to you in my way . Rooting is essentially unlocking the phone from the restrictions imposed on the hardware and software by the network operator or the manufacturer itself. Every phone that comes into the market are unrooted by default. But by rooting it , we can have more controls and tweaks over the phone. But rooting makes the phone’s warranty void. But we have means to unroot the phone. So you don’t have to worry much about that.
So why should i root the phone ?
I will give you one good reason to go for rooting. I use a samsung galaxy s4 mini for my personal use. Tell you what , that phone just sucks . I mean i had to charge it every morning and evening to keep it on. The charge was not lasting for not more than 18 hours , with out any wifi , bluetooth or 3g . Reason ? The apps . My phone had some battery hogging apps , some preloaded . I used some battery saver apps , but they are just useless, unless you have the super user authority . For super user access you have to root the phone. Most of the apps that we use very commonly , if given root access can be more fun . Take for an example the app called Greenify. Greenify lets you hibernate the apps that runs in the background and eats your battery. But without root access , Greenify can’t work properly . With root access you can remove those useless apps that comes preloaded with the phone.Also if you are a guy who loves customizing your phone , then you must root it . There are huge collections of customized ROMs and themes available for rooted android phones.
Is it safe to root the phone ?
Rooting a phone doesnot harm it , of course the warranty is now void. But i would recommend you to have a back up of your important data . Also please be aware that installing some of the custom ROMs can indeed impair your phone. Please go through the android forums and follow the comments properly before attempting to flash the ROM .
What all things i need to root a phone ?
Rooting a phone doesnot require any additional hardware , all you need is your phone , data cable and the computer .
How can i root my phone ?
Do the following things before you start
- Drivers for your phone need to be downloaded , if not present , into the computer
- Make sure your phone battery is charged atleast 60%
- Download the Odin for your phone from the internet. Just do a google search.
- Download the root file for your phone . Again google it . I would recommend xda forum . You will get almost all the informations there .
- Follow the instructions
- enable USB debugging in your phone. Usually you can find this in settings>developer options>usb debugging
Once every thing is ready , you can start rooting
- Connect the phone to the computer through data cable
- Switch off your mobile phone .
- Press the volume down key , Power key and the center key together till the phone boots
- Now you are in the download mode of the phone , which you can make out from the warning yellow triangle on the screen. Press volume up key to continue
- Now open the odin application on the computer.
- Once the phone is added , click the PDA button on the application . Choose the root file (*.tar) . Click start on the odin
- You will see the progression on the phone screen. Rooting usually takes 30 -50 seconds. Once completed the phone restarts by itself
- After reboot , you should see the superuser / SuperSu app on the apps menu in the phone. Now you can exit the odin in the computer. You phone is now rooted. Enjoy .
How to unroot ?
Not happy with a rooted phone . Don’t worry , unrooting is a kids play .
Download the official firmware of your phone from samfirmware website ( samsung only) . Follow the instructions. Locate the files into odin . Flash it into your phone .Restart it . TADA you phone is unrooted .
Know a better way ? Have some suggestions. Please feel free to correct me. All your comments are valuable to me . Happy to Help 🙂